Monday, November 5, 2012

Changing Taste


Six days ago Dennis flew off to Germany for his annual fix of visiting friends and speaking German. I’ve been in charge of shutting up the chickens at night and letting them out in the morning. I’ve been in charge of the cold frame and fall garden, bringing in the mostly junk mail and taking care of Annie’s needs.

The most interesting part of Dennis’ absence has been what I’ve been eating. The first day I ate leftovers, some beef-barley soup and applesauce cake. The second day I made chicken cacciatore, using six pieces of chicken, lots of mushrooms and some of our precious garden tomatoes. I managed to eat most of one piece of chicken the first day. Since then I haven’t been able to face it.

Instead I made some lentil stew with lots of fresh vegetables and spices. I’ve been eating that for lunch along with hot cornbread. For dessert I have cornbread with cane syrup and a glass of milk.

Evenings I eat salad, cheese and my new favorite crackers, Pecan Nut Thins made by Blue Diamond. Most of the salad ingredients come from the garden: arugula, parsley and volunteer cilantro. Along side I have some Saint Andre cheese.


I add some broken pecans and dried cranberries to the salad. Sometimes I use cashews instead of pecans. Sometimes I include a chopped pear instead of cranberries.


Why my taste has change, I don’t know. I know only that the flesh of animals isn't appealing, except for bacon and sausages. Now that I think of it, I may bake some bacon for breakfast. I guess my taste hasn't changed that much after all.


Copyright 2012 by Shirley Domer

No comments: