Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Two Extremes

Have I written about weather sickness? (If you say "yes" then your memory is better than mine.) Weather sickness dominates my life in the spring and in the fall, when big weather changes are afoot, when strong cold fronts steadily march out of the north and northwest. I always know two days before a cold front will arrive here because I feel sick. I feel like a zombie. I can barely function. The day before the front arrives my bones hurt and I have little appetite.

So that's how my day started and went on until noon. Then I came to, went into my studio and got back into ridding out. What a joy that is! I have various collections that will be departing: broken metal objects to recycle, Social Services League donations, things to return to friends or give to them. Today I came across a bag of ladies' handkerchiefs, probably from the 1940s or 1950s. They were hand-embroidered and appliqued on fine linen in Switzerland. They are lovely and utterly useless to me.


By e-mail, I offered the handkerchiefs to my three grown-up girls. Two responded quickly: yes. But Nancy predicted that Carol, who seldom checks e-mail, would not want any. I phoned Carol and asked her to look at the photos included in the message. Sure enough, she didn't want any and Mimi and Nancy each get three.

Now, here's the point: it's a lot of fun to give things away while you are living and no fun for anyone if they have to sort through them when you are dead. I was energized by the hankerchief exercise and went on to sort and discard and consolidate a jumble of art supplies and materials.

Finally I made a Waldorf salad for supper. When apple season comes I can't get enough of it. It's a perfect combination of tastes and textures in the mouth and on the palate. Besides that, it's pretty.

Waldorf Salad

2 Red Delicious apples (or some other kind you like), diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
Some seedless grapes – red, green, purple, whatever – halved
Handful of chopped walnuts

Mix those things up. Now make a dressing:

1 1/2 blobs of mayonnaise or, my favorite, Miracle Whip
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Stir it in. Eat it up.


Now a perfect afternoon is over and the evening begins with another ridding out: Evie, a fellow member of the New Boston Buying Club, has come to take our five remaining old hens* to live at her house in North Lawrence. It is time for the older hens to go because they are mean to the new hens and keep them from food, especially greens and grain. They won't even permit the new hens to sleep on the roost, which is big enough for everyone. Now the younger ones will establish their own pecking order and they will be able to eat in relative peace. 

So it's a great ending to the day that went from misery to euphoria. Can't beat that.

*You may remember that raccoons killed seven of our hens last March.

Copyright, 2012 Shirley Domer


6 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

I saw giant black, seedless grapes at the grocery yesterday. The packaging calls them Goblin grapes! Looks like you've got some in your Waldorf salad! I bought several pounds of Honey Crisp apples the other day. I used them to make two apples pies! One to give away to my friend who owns a coffee shop, and one to keep. Those apples have made a delicious pie! If the give-away pie is popular, my friend may start hiring me to make more pies for her shop!

Shirley said...

Now there's a fun career, making pies. Nice to know that Honey Crisp makes a good pie. Red Delicious sure doesn't.

WilleWorks.com said...

Thank you for the hankies! They are so pretty and delicate. Boy, that Waldorf salad looks yummy. How did your bread turn out yesterday? They looked really beautiful when you were shaping the loaves. It is so funny that you only need a pinch of yeast to make bread in your wild yeast kitchen.

xxoo Mimi

Shirley said...

I'm happy for you and Nancy to have the hankies.

The bread turned out just fine. I've made it so many times now that it rarely fails. I'll post a photo.

Nice to have you and Oz visit yesterday. It was a perfect ending to the week.

Flatlander said...

Grant and I are making your yummy salad for friends at our new house! We wanted to let you know that we have the computer open to your blog as we're hanging out :) Love, Blair & Grant

Shirley said...

How nice to have my proxy hanging out with you in your new home!