Wednesday, January 25, 2012

A Dog's Tale

We must have bought some bad dog food for Annie because she started throwing up frequently and became unsociably flatulent. She was reluctant to eat the food and often left it untouched in her bowl.

Last evening, because Dennis was teaching a class at KU, I was eating a simple supper at the kitchen bar when Annie came and stared at me. That means, "I want to go outside." She wanted to go into the snake room* where her food bowl is. She walked up to the bowl, stared at the pile of dry dog food, turned and walked back into the house.

"I get it," I said. "I'll cook some brown rice and hamburger for you."

After starting water to boil and measuring the rice I rummaged in the freezer and found a somewhat freezer-burned hamburger patty. I added that lump to the pot.

Forty-five minutes later when the timer went off, Annie came to the kitchen, quite excited about the aroma. Annie never pays attention to the food I make for Dennis and me, but somehow she knew this food was for her. I broke the hamburger into smaller bites and mixed it back into the rice. It was too hot to eat, but Annie was so eager I put about a fourth of the mess into her bowl and added a little cold water. She ate it with great relish.

I go early to bed so I didn't see Dennis until this morning. While we were having a cup of coffee I told him the story of Annie and her hamburger rice.

A look of surprise came over Dennis' face. "That food was for Annie?" he asked. "I was hungry when I got home so I heated some for my supper."

A little later we went to the deck with Annie to give her the rest of her hamburger rice. Hands off, Dennis!



* We call our entry room "the snake room," but that's another story.

2 comments:

Joie said...

great story!

Jayhawk Fan said...

That made me laugh out loud, and I'm still giggling!
Thanks for sharing the story!