Friday, November 18, 2011

No Pie Today

This afternoon, six days before Thanksgiving, I just couldn't wait for some pumpkin pie, so I pulled out the recipe card I wrote at least thirty years ago.


Over the years I've used it so many times it has turned the same color as our yellow countertops. Its splatters, notations and mysterious brown circle attest to its long history.

The penciled in dollar amounts date back to 1979 when I made pumpkin pies to sell at the Lawrence Farmers Market. I was allowing $5 an hour for my labor and even figured in the cost of running the electric oven.

About 15 years ago I quit the evaporated milk and used half-and-half instead.

Somewhere along the line I started buying store brand pumpkin instead of Libby's. Although in 1979 I paid just a quarter for a can of pumpkin, as the card shows, I thought myself lucky to find Hy-Vee pumpkin for seventy-nine cents a can this year. Libby's was priced at a dollar more than that.

Today I mixed up the pie filling and pulled out equipment to make a crust. But wait! Why did we need a crust? Why not just make pumpkin pudding? Maybe pies should be reserved for special occasions, such as Thanksgiving dinner.

So I poured that filling into a souffle baking dish, sprinkled on some cinnamon, set it in a pan of hot water and baked it at 350ยบ for an hour and ten minutes. When it was half-way done, I scattered a little chopped preserved ginger over the top for visual interest and taste surprise.



Now, having eschewed the high-calorie pie crust, I may have a blob of lovely whipped cream on my serving of pudding.

2 comments:

Shirley said...

Dennis just polished off his second helping of pumpkin pudding with whipped cream and declared, "That's the best dessert I've had in years."

I think we're on to something.

Jayhawk Fan said...

You are too cute!
Looks pretty, but dang, I do love your crust!