Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Fresh Eggs, A Little Known Fact


Eggs purchased in supermarkets have some age on them, and because most cooks buy eggs at supermarkets they don't realize that hard-boiled fresh eggs are nearly impossible to peel.

Last Saturday I wanted to make deviled eggs for a family gathering of eleven people. I needed to boil 15 of the the oldest eggs on hand so I asked Dennis, the egg man, "Which eggs in the refrigerator are the oldest?"

He identified two dozen as the oldest. They weren't.


If I'd had all afternoon to peel 15 eggs, the results might have been better, but I had only one hour before guests arrived, so I peeled with abandon. Seemed to me that after the whites were filled with the deviled yolks, no one would notice. I thought maybe the yolk mixture would serve as glue to keep the mangled whites from falling apart.

By golly, it worked!


The happy diners didn't even notice and, at the end of the meal, the plate was empty.


All three of our adult children, two of their three spouses, and four of their six children were here. Our grandchildren range from two to twenty-five. The latest, our bonus grandchild, is the left-hander I've been hoping for. That makes three of us. (To be honest, Zander appears to be ambidexterous, but eats mostly with his left and throws with his right.)

It was a bittersweet occasion because Bill and Carol soon will move to Maine, taking their children with them!

No comments: