Friday, May 14, 2010

Homemade Tomato Soup



When May weather turns cool and stormy we need comfort food. We also need to use up last summer's home-canned tomatoes, so we make a batch of cream of tomato soup.

Cream of Tomato Soup

3 T. butter or olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery with leaves
1/4 t. dried thyme or 1/2 t. dried summer savory
1/2 t. dried basil
1/2 t. paprika
1 quart home-canned tomatoes with juice or 2 pounds chopped fresh tomatoes
grindings of black pepper
14 ounces chicken broth or 14 ounces of water and 1 1/2 t. chicken base
3 T. flour
1/2 cup half-and-half or more if desired

In a large saucepan over low heat, sweat the onions and celery in the butter or oil until translucent. Stir in the herbs and spices and cook another minute or so. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.

If using fresh tomatoes, simmer for ten minutes.

Add all but 1/4 cup of the broth. Cover and simmer for 10 to 25 minutes.

Stir the flour into the reserved broth until no lumps remain. Slowly add to the tomato mixture while stirring.

Puree the soup.* Stir in cream and return the soup to heat, but do not let it boil.

Serve it up garnished with chopped parsley or chives and a dollop of sour cream or yogurt. Or sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

*I avoided making pureed soups until I got a hand blender, sometimes called a "stick blender." This wonderful invention purees soup right in the pot without making a big mess.


3 comments:

Jayhawk Fan said...

YUMMY! Beautiful photo! I want to hear more PERSONAL STUFF!

Jayhawk Fan said...

My BEAUTIFUL Mama! I adore your photo!

Jayhawk Fan said...

Do you have a "subscribe" button you can add? If you do that, I think, I can follow directly from my Google Homepage and can see immediately if you've created a new entry. At the present, I have to check by scrolling down on my bookmarked pages...I have other blogs that feed updates directly to my homepage and I can't figure out why I can't get yours to do the same.